I ran several 5 week tapestry crochet courses at the Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre in Walton-on-Thames where my students were able to make a full sized “Columbian bag” over the course of the weeks. They learnt all the basic techniques and were then encouraged to design their own bag or make one from a pattern. After many requests, I am now able to offer a Tapestry Crochet Day Course where you can learn some of the techniques used to create a Wayuu or “mochila” style bag. I have designed a cotton “mini-bag” project that incorporates many of these techniques so the student can practise and master this beautiful and very useful, crochet art-form.
- Brief overview of bag construction & materials used.
- How the bottom of the bag is made and basic principles of base design.
- Getting started with your own bag.
- Adding and changing colours – mastering the tapestry crochet stitch.
- Making the sides of the bag – reading charts, designing your own patterns.
- How to manage multiple skeins of yarn without tangling.
- Making eyelets for the cord fastening.
- Using crab stitch or reverse single crochet borders to reinforce and add stability and shape to the top and bottom of the bag.
- Mastering two coloured crab stitch or reverse single crochet.
- Making a simple cord.
- How to make quick and easy tassels.
- Tips for lining the bags.
- Design options – examples of & ideas for projects using tapestry stitch.
Typically, the course is 5 hours long, with a 1 hour lunch break.
e.g. 10:00 – 12:30 Crochet, 12:30 – 13:30 Lunch, 13:30 – 16:00 Crochet
I teach a maximum of 8 students in one class.
All my classes come with detailed class notes and pattern. I provide samples and practical demonstrations of all techniques, helping and encouraging students with hands on assistance so that they can feel confident with their new found skills. Along with the class notes, the students should be able to continue & complete their mini project in the comfort of their own home, with relative ease. I am also happy to offer help by email, after the course, should any student have any questions.
Students must be competent with basic crochet techniques, particularly chaining & single crochet (UK double).
Materials & Tools
I provide suitable cotton yarn for the project – I have a large selection of colours to choose from, so there should be something to suit all tastes.
The students will also need locking stitch markers and 2.5mm crochet hooks.
I can provide all of the above separately or as a kit, which can be incorporated into the overall cost of the course or as an extra payment on the day, per student.
I am based in Surrey, and I’m willing to travel to London and most of the home counties. I have taught in Buckinghamshire, London, Berkshire, Middlesex & Sussex. I’ am always happy to consider locations further afield.
Fees & Availability
Please message me through my contact form for my fee structure and availability for this Tapestry Crochet Day Course.